Universal Design Is Better Design
Universal Design is “the design of products and environments to be usable by all people to the greatest extent possible, without the need for adaptation or specialized design” NCSU
Universal is smart design. It enables people to live in their home for a lifetime without sacrificing style! Yes, it can look good and work well, whether you are 4 years old or 94 years old. Whether you are standing or seated.
The purpose of Universal Design is to break down the physical and attitudinal barrier between person’s with and without disabilities. To enable ALL PEOPLE to use the same products and environments.
Life. Easier. At Home
By incorporating the seven principles of universal design, we create functional, beautiful and livable spaces for a lifetime.
The seven principles of universal design are
- Equitable Use: Attractive and appealing to all people
- Flexibility in Use: Usable by people of all abilities
- Simple and Intuitive Use: Easy to understand and use
- Perceptible Information: Easy to obtain needed information
- Tolerance of Error: Prevent or minimize hazards
- Low Physical Effort: Maintain neutral body posture
- Size and Space for Approach and Use: Reach and manipulate objects or environments
You make feel like your home is currently working against you. That the layout or features make life harder. Make showering, cooking or moving about your home more difficult. With Universal Design features, we can help to create a home that works for you, instead of against you!
At Rebuild Independence, we are committed to incorporating Universal design features in each project. We know that this will result in a design that will best fit the needs of our clients and their families. We also understand that a Universally Design home will have a higher resale value!